HUMANE IMMIGRATION REFORM
We are a nation of immigrants, and some of our most valued possessions came from the minds of immigrants. As Americans, we must be welcoming to those just like our parents, those that come from a past we will never fully understand, and those that just want to provide the best for themselves and their children.
For those that want to come in this country with documentation, we commend you for working hard in your current country, saving up money in order to live the U.S. with Documented status. For the 11 million undocumented immigrants (3% of the U.S. population) who are here currently, we must allow them to come out of the shadows without fear of deportation and hefty financial penalties. Many have escaped from a country where war, crime, and poverty has overcome their homes, which we can take a part of responsibility through U.S. Imperialism, bad trade deals, and wars. We should be uniting families not separating them.
BUILDING A MOVEMENT FOR CITIZENSHIPWE recognizes that it is very difficult for immigrants, documented and undocumented, under our outdated immigration system to become a U.S. Citizen and to come out of the shadows. We recognize that change can happen only from the bottom-up, and not from the top-down. With our election into Congress, we will mobilize millions of Americans of all races, especially the Latinx and Immigrant community to fight for the change they need one election at a time. These people will elect officials who recognize the importance of comprehensive immigration reform and will seek a welcoming path to citizenship.
Full Legal Status for ALL Immigrants
- WE will push for legislation that will provide legal status for ALL immigrants!
Citizenship for DREAMers
- WE will work to pass a modern day DREAM Act which would allow undocumented immigrants who came into the United States before the age of 16 an expeditious pathway to citizenship. In addition, we will work to expand educational benefits such as receiving financial aid and be eligible for in-state tuition rates.
Healthcare for ALL Immigrants
- WE will fight for undocumented immigrants to receive adequate health care through Medicare for ALL. In the near term, we will support expansion of Medicaid to cover undocumented immigrants. No one should face death or struggle to receive the healthcare they need because they could not receive any healthcare due to their undocumented status.
Right to Counsel
- WE will work with Congress to fight for Undocumented Immigrants to have Legal Representation, especially for children who currently have to represent themselves in front of a judge in immigration hearings. It does not make sense to have trial and not have legal representation especially if you are not familiar with the law. It is very sad to know that there are 10 or 12 years who have to defend themselves in front of a judge against getting deported.
- WE will protect all workers regardless of immigration status who report employers who exploit them by making them work in unsafe work conditions that violate health codes or safety codes. We will fight for undocumented workers who get threatened with no pay, overtime, or wages withheld due to threat of being deported. Currently, many undocumented do not file any complaints in fear of being deported, it's time to change that.
End ALL Detention Centers
- WE will work with Congress to end ALL detention centers whose main goal it is to increase their bottom line at the expense of separating families and deporting undocumented immigrants. In addition, we will fight to ensure that if they are released for non-violent crimes that they don't get deported the minute they get out of jail.
Shut Down ICE
- WE will work with Congress to defund ICE.
- If we are made aware of an ICE checkpoint in our district we will be sure to have staff make the community aware. We will tweet, post and share so our community is able to stay safe and protect their loved ones from separation.
Lessen the Burden of Proof for Asylum Seekers
- WE will protect immigrants, especially children, who flee their home country because they are victims of domestic violence and criminal gang activity or war. Currently, it’s not good enough to tell or convince the government that if you get sent back to a war torn country like Honduras, you might die unless you prove that people want to kill you because of your race, political identity, etc. Children are saying if "I go back, I’m going to get killed by gangs", however, our government says “you can’t prove that”. Children should NOT have to prove that. We should lower the burden of proof so that children and families can keep their life.
Ensure Immigration Courts are Sufficiently Staffed and Funded
- WE will fight to ensure that immigrants are given a sufficient amount of time to defend themselves in immigration hearings. Currently, judges can decide immigrants’ fate, including children and families, in 7 minutes without sufficiently reviewing all the evidence and circumstances. 7 minutes can decide a family's future, that is unfair.
End the 3 to 10 Year Bar
- WE will fight to end the 3 to 10-year bar on undocumented immigrants who leave the United States to apply for a Visa from their own home countries and try to come back to America for a better life. What we're seeing are people going back to their home country to obtain their Visa but getting denied and up getting stuck in their country 3 - 10 years. A majority of undocumented immigrants won’t do it and will live here in the shadows.